Why a Press Release is Important
Press releases are popular because they are a relatively inexpensive way to gain visibility. They are available for reading within hours of their completion verses waiting days to find out if an editor will permit his journalists to write a story about you and/or your product. Depending on the quality of the press release, you can also get incredible advertisement at a fraction of the cost of a print ad or commercial space. Your press release can attract new customers. Over 80 million people get their news online every day. Many of these people are your customers, investors or fans. To that end, you need to keep your target audience in mind when discussing your press release with our consultant. Important reminder – press releases are not cloaked advertisement. There must be a legitimate news angle to a credible release and we will help you find it.
Press release content and distribution strategies should be clearly outlined in a effort to maximize exposure. Some press releases are necessary to allow your name or brand to maintain a consistent presence in your marketplace via national online distribution. This type of strategy would require a newsworthy release distributed every 30 days. However, the goal of a targeted outreach approach for a press release, is to communicate with the 10% of your market that influences the other 90%. You want to reach people like market/application experts, editors, journalists, commentators and newsroom producers. These type of releases should be distributed when market penetrating news is being announced and with less frequency.
Lastly, consistent press releases can establish you as an industry expert. This is important because establishing your expertise helps you gain the trust of your targeted audience. But being an expert is also good for media relations. Whenever the media needs someone to comment on an issue related to your industry, your name will be front of mind. We can help you in other ways to establish you as an expert like: writing editorials; commenting frequently on popular sites; speaking with analysts. Well written and properly distributed press release will allow you to stand out amongst the crowd.